In commercial real estate agency, there is no reason to struggle as an agent or salesperson. Those that struggle usually have a single and very obvious problem as an agent. They have no system to work to. They take each day as it comes.
As salespeople we have lots to do every day. Top agents will still stick to their plan regardless of other things that happen every day. Within reason they get to the critical things that will help them build their business.
I am sure that you can relate to the following issues:
- You will know the things that you should be doing every day.
- You will know exactly what is really important in helping you grow your market.
- You will also know what is holding you back as an agent.
In almost all cases the reasons we struggle in our industry are self-inflicted. We get involved with things that we should not be doing or we simply get distracted. Sometimes the things that we have to do are very difficult for us to accept. Cold calling and prospecting is like that.
We by nature will avoid the things we dislike. Unfortunately many of those things will take us forward faster in the industry.
Here is a list of things that in my opinion most salespeople should do every day before they do other things:
- Get on the telephone to talk to 40 business owners in the local area to see what their property needs are.
- Talk to previous clients to see how they are going with property needs and current challenges
- Research some new property owners in the local area that you would have not spoken to before.
- Look at all the listings in the local area to see what changes have occurred.
- Research the local area listings on the internet to see what asking rents and prices are doing.
- Check out the results of recent sales and leases to know the final results in the case of each closed property transaction.
Notice I have not mentioned doing anything with my Blossoms by The Park current listings or clients. I have also not mentioned property inspections and meetings. In my opinion, the 6 items above are more important than anything else.
When these 6 things are done correctly you will drive better leads and opportunities into your listing base and real estate agency. The rule is that you have to do the ‘hard stuff’ every day before you do other things. Over time this has to be a new habit for each and every agent.
Most salespeople in our industry struggle with change for about 3 or 4 weeks. After that point the process becomes easier and results start to flow.